Thursday, July 9, 2009

Take this job and love it

For all of us that still have jobs (especially in the advertising industry!), I congratulate you. Here's a quick pat on the back to myself, too, although is it really in any of our hands to dictate if we keep our jobs? All we can do is, literally, be as billable as possible, which in effect means that we are charging someone good money for the services we provide. But the ad industry is very value-driven and sometimes it's hard to see that fact, particularly for some clients who want do do great work but on a minimum budget. It's not the specific services you provide, because any joe blow can photoshop. It's the value you give to that service, the thoughtfulness and quality of creativity behind those hours you're billing, and that's what I'm proud of.

I'm proud to be the provider in my family and I love that Ross and Isla don't care where the money comes from. I'm also extremely proud to have a husband who is willing to drive six hours every few weeks, or at least offer to, help out on the family farm. The 2,000 glorious acres that is my version of Tara. It's where I gain my strength. Sigh. We are the lucky ones.

No comments: